Saturday, January 18, 2014

Cate Compares: Stila vs. Tarte Liquid Liner

Hello everyone,

So I am back, this time with a makeup review post, which I have not done in quite some time.

To tell you the truth, I'm not a huge makeup user. I do use the essentials like foundation, concealer, and some blush but I don't experiment too much with eye makeup and usually when I find something I love, I stick to it and that is very true in this case.

Back in August, for BEDA, I reviewed the Tarte MultiplEYE Lash Enhancing Liquid Liner which I absolutely love but sometimes when you love a product you stick to it and you may not realize that their could be better products out there for you so while at Sephora I decided to skip the Tarte section and walk on over to the Stila section and give their very popular Stay All Day® Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner. 

I decided to format this review a little differently and instead of just a straight up text review, I decided to take some pictures and show you how these liners stood up throughout the day. 

I put on the liners at around 11am and took them off at around 1am so that's a good 14 hours of testing whilst running around and being out in the oh so lovely Vancouver rain. I will show you the pictures and then do a more comprehensive review. 

*Disclaimer: All products were purchased by me and this post is not sponsored. 

Note: I am not the greatest at applying eyeliner so don't judge :)
Also, clicking on the pictures will lead you to purchasing and product info. 

Stila Before Shot

Stila After Shot 

Tarte Before Shot 

Tarte After Shot 


Product Info: The Stila liner will run your around $26.00 while the Tarte version will cost you around $29.00, both at Sephora


Tarte MultiplEYE Lash Enhancing Liquid Liner

Stila Stay All Day® Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner


Lasting Power: As you can see by the photos above, the lasting power is quite similar. I did by accident apply the Stila liner a little on the thicker side so it may look like that one is darker in colour but overall I had no problems with the lasting power on either of these liners. 

Ease of Use/Application: This is a biggie. As mentioned, I am not a pro at applying liquid liner so whatever makes it easier will help me and I just find that the brush on the Stila liner, although very similar in looks to the Tarte version, is much more stiff and makes it harder to apply because eyes (at least in my experience) are rounded and I find that the Tarte liner has the perfect amout of flex so that it glides over your eyelid much smoother. 

Tarte MultiplEYE Lash Enhancing Liquid Liner

 Stila Stay All Day® Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner


I mentioned above that I had applied the Stila liner on the thick side and that was because the brush was not flexible and it did end up bleeding and as I was in a hurry, I didn't have time to wipe it off and start over. 

Below you can see a picture of both these liners swatched on my hand and you will notice that the Stila has bled quite a bit just on my hand so you can imagine what would happen to your eye area. 

*Stila swatch is on the top whereas Tarte is on the bottom.

My Thoughts: I definitely feel like the Stila liner has a lot of great pros like the colour payoff and lasting power but I just feel like the Tarte liner is much better at application while still providing excellent colour payoff and superior lasting power. 

Overall: For people who are not so advanced in applying liquid liner, I think that the Tarte MultiplEYE Lash Enhancing Liquid Liner is a far better option for those venturing into the liquid liner world. 

I hope you enjoyed this beauty post, I know it was long overdue, with all the cooking and skincare posts lately. 

Let me know what other beauty posts you may like to see in the future. 

Also don't forget to check out my awesome friend and co-writer Meg's first book review right here and she also just answered a bunch of questions so that you readers could get to know her, so if you want to know more about our new writer, you can do that by clicking right here.

Until Next Time...

- Cate. 

2 comments:

  1. just what i needed before deciding which to buy, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kristy for checking out the post and make sure to let me know how you like your new liner :)

      Delete

 
Blogging tips