Monday, August 18, 2014

Teen Skincare Series: Toners

So today we are continuing in the next phase of my Teen Skincare Series. If you missed the first post in the series all about Cleansers, you can check that out here.

Toners are, to me, a very important step in my personal skincare routine. There is a lot of debate on whether or not toners are necessary in your skincare. Many people have argued that it is just an unnecessary step but on the other end toners can be good for removing any excess soap you may have  missed while rinsing off your cleanser and they can also help to rebalance the ph levels in your skin and soothe your skin.

I personally have gone with and without toner in my years of experimenting with skincare and I have found that my skin looks better and much more even when I am using a toner that suits my skin type.

I went into detail about the importance of knowing your skin type and how to figure it out in my first post in the series so before you continue on reading this, make sure you know your skin type and if you don't, I explain how you can figure it out here.

There is a Toner for an array of skin issues, you just need to find the right one for you.

Is Acne Your Issue? 



If acne is what you're struggling with (don't feel bad, most teens do) then you need to find out what acne ingredient works for you. The most popular being Salicylic Acid or Benzoyl Peroxide. Once you know that, look for a toner with that ingredient in it. The Clinique Clarifying Lotion 3 for Oily/Combination Skin works for me because it contains Salicylic Acid but if your ingredient of choice is Benzoyl Peroxide try looking at Neutrogena, many of their toners contain a good amount of Benzoyl Peroxide and if you need more Salicylic Acid, Clean & Clear is a good brand to check out. 

Sensitive Acne Prone Skin? 


If you have sensitive acne-prone skin, I feel for you. It is tough because many acne fighting products contain alcohol and harsh chemicals that are effective at diminishing spots but also very harsh on sensitive skin. Thankfully, ingredients like witch hazel are less harsh and also effective. This toner by Thayers is great because it contains with hazel, it is alcohol free and it also contains rose and aloe vera which are all soothing for the skin and non irritating, so give this a try. 

Sensitive Skin? 


My number one tip in skincare is avoid alcohol if you can. There are very few times when you may actually need alcohol in your skincare products and you are best to avoid it at all costs. This Alcohol-Free Toner by Neutrogena is great because it will give you the benefits of a toner without stripping your skin and if you don't have to worry about acne on a regular basis, this affordable toner is great. 

Dry Skin?


Dry skin is another annoying problem you may have to deal with and in that case, a lot of toners are not really meant to restore moisture back into the skin so make sure you look for a toner that will. This Moisture Prep Toning Lotion by Benefit does a great job at leaving your skin feeling hydrated and plump. It is also a thicker formula which helps add that necessary moisture to drier skin types.

I hope you enjoyed the second part to my Teen Skincare Series. Let me know in the comments what your favourite toners are and whether or not you have found to be a necessary part of your skincare routine? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips